Skip to Main Content


F-1 tax return guide


Did you work in the U.S. last year? 

If YES, you must file these forms on or before April 15, 2024

If NO, you must submit Form 8843 only, by April 15, 2024. Please continue reading for further information. 

*If you have stayed in the U.S. for over 5 years, you may have passed the Substantial Presence Test (You may use Sprintax step 1 to check your residency status). If you have passed, you are considered a resident for tax purposes and may have to file form 1040. Please consult with a tax professional if you are not certain.


Who Must File Form 8843?

All international students who were in the U.S. in 2023 under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 even if they received NO income during 2023.


What is Form 8843?

Form 8843 is not an income tax return. Form 8843 is an informational statement required by the U.S. government and must also be submitted for a spouse and dependent. 


How Do I Submit Form 8843?

  • If you do not need to file taxes, send Form 8843 directly to the Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215.
  • If you need to file taxes (Form 1040NR), attach Form 8843 to the back of the tax return. 


Additional forms:

Form 1098-T

At the end of January, MCC’s Business Office mailed out 1098-T forms to all students who paid tuition last year.

  • If you worked last year, you may need the 1098-T form when filing your taxes.
  • If you are not filing taxes, you may save this form for your records. You do not need Form 1098-T to submit Form 8843.
  • If you have questions about your 1098T, please email


Do you need help doing your taxes? Or, are you unsure which forms to submit?

MCC cannot provide tax advice, but we encourage you to see a tax specialist or take advantage of the free tax preparation resources in Chicago.

Type your zip code into this IRS website to see the locations that offer free tax prep help for taxpayers who qualify.



*MCC is not affiliated with the 3rd party services listed above.



  • The IRS contacts people by mail. NOT by phone or email.
  • The IRS does NOT ask for payment of taxes via wire transfers, pre-paid debit cards, or money orders
  • If anyone calls you and claims to the IRS and demands payment hang up the phone.
  • Never give anyone that calls you, your social security number or other personal information.
  • The IRS will NOT ask for credit card information over the phone.
  • The IRS does NOT request personal information via email, social media or text messaging.
  • For more information please visit